Parish

Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church Lake Cargelligo

 ARCHDIOCESE OF CANBERRA AND GOULBURN – Parish Profile

 Parish of Our Lady of Lourdes, Lake Cargelligo, NSW

updated April 2013

 

 

Location:     78 Reef St. Lake Cargelligo

Established in 1871, in the Western Deanery, is bounded by the parishes of West Wyalong (116km away), Condobolin ( -100km away - in Forbes/ Wilcannia Diocese) and Griffith (-130km away – in Wagga Wagga Diocese). 5 hours drive from Canberra.

No airport. No passenger rail link.

Coach services connect to rail at Cootamundra (3 hours away).

 

History:         The establishment of the Catholic Faith in the district of Lake Cargelligo goes back to 1884.  Before a church was built, Mass was celebrated in a local home and later at a hotel.  The priests who attended came from Grenfell and later from Wyalong.  The old wooden church which stood on the corner of Reef and Conapaira Streets was built in 1896.  The first marriage of Mr John  McInnes and Miss Barbara MacRae was celebrated in this church by Father Michael Forgatory.

In those days the parish comprised Lake Cargelligo, Tullibigeal, Naradhan, Ungarie, Kikoira, Rankin Springs and Burgooney.  Mass was said regularly in all these centres

In 1923 Father Bossence was appointed the first pastor and shortly afterwards the Presbytery was built.

Towards the end of 1925 Father Bossence was succeeded by Father McGee during whose time the present school and convent were built. 

 

Population and ethnic groups:  approximately 1300, majority Anglo-Saxon and Indigenous Australians, a very small percentage of Europeans, Asians, Islanders.

 

Churches:    Lake Cargelligo – Our Lady of Lourdes (current church built 1958)

Tullibigeal – St. Isadore, built in 1954.

 

Sunday Masses:   Lake Cargelligo   Sunday 9.30am

                            Tullibigeal          Mass times vary

 

Reconciliation:        Reconciliatin before Sunday Mass 

 

Catholic Schools:  St Francis Xavier Primary School K-6 – Conapaira St. Lake Cargelligo (across the road from the church)

                                   

State Schools:        Lake Cargelligo Central School – K-12 Canada St. Lake Cargelligo.

 

Lake Cargelligo Pre School:   89 Lorne St, Lake Cargelligo.  Long Day Care, facility in the process of construction.

 

Hospital:  Lake Cargelligo Multi Purpose Service, 8 High Care beds, 8 Low Care beds, Accident & Emergency, Minor Intensive Care.

 

Medical Centres:    Lake Cargelligo Family Practice and Lake Cargelligo Medical Centre.

 

Cudjallagong Court Retirement Units:

12 Units, single and double residences.

 

Community Services:   Meals on Wheels, Home Care, Community Service, Centrecare.

 

Lay Organisations: St. Vincent de Paul, Catholic Women’s League.

 

Parish Committees: Parish Council meets bi-monthly.

                         

Presbytery:  78 Reef Street, situated next to the Church, built 1970.  Single story brick veneer building.  Heating / cooling, three bedrooms, office, one toilet, one bathroom, kitchen, dining room and lounge room, garage

 

Other Property owned by the Parish:  St Francis Xavier’s School Principal’s residence, heating/air-conditioned, one toilet, three bedrooms, separate kitchen/lounge room, garage.  Built 1996.

 

Vacant block of land opposite the school.

 

 Parish Priest:      Fr Emil Milat

Postal Address:   PO Box 64, West Wyalong.  NSW  2672

Phone:                (02) 69723655

Email:                 wyalongwest@cg.org.au